Sunday 5 July 2009

Rain Man






What more can I say about Rain People but brilliant.

But more importantly for me I became their regular supporter during the last week of their run.

Their show was that good.

The two principal female dancers, confusingly Masha. With each their own personality and style which showed in the performances I watched. Were a magical pair Masha 2, I'll call her as it was in the second part of the week I saw her performance on stage told me that on the last night when she stepped on stage and she saw me sitting had the biggest smile inside because I was there to see their last performance.

And she made my day just after when entering from back stage she came bounding over to give me the biggest hug I've ever had from anyone at the Fringe.

At run end I was there to the finish. Deconstruction of props, sets and everything else. Then it was a few moments relaxation and the chance of a celebratory glass of wine.

The cast in the space of the week had become good, or I should say great friends. Sasha the "language" of the group as she was called one day when Svetlana the director took her out of the room for a few minutes

"Our director has taken our language" I was told, but we struggled on each of the cast understanding a little of what I had to say, and communally a translation was formed for each side.


Over the glass of wine I was given an honour, I could not have asked for. I was made part of their company, an honouree "Rain Person or Rain Man.

And on their last evening in Edinburgh before their trip home, they made time to meet me in my regular haunt during the Fringe the City Cafe. It was the last chance for us all to say our good byes. I'd taken in one of there posters and I asked all to write a little something, which Sasha kindly translated on the night before she left.

Final goodbyes were said during the night and I'd like to say I was pretty close to shedding a tear at the loss; for the moment of new found friends.

I do like to make friends during the Fringe, everyone I meet on the High street and spend a bit of time chatting to I consider worthy of a place on my blog. And another face or friend to look forward to seeing the next year.

And it is great to run into people at the Fringe, who you've met over previous years. Maybe that's why people let me take photos, and some of whom I can now consider good friends.








And why my party goes down so well. Who else can show their holiday photos as a slide show and have a hundred or more people turn up. And some of them wanted me to do it again. Crazy people!

No comments:

Post a Comment